Monday, June 6, 2011

Little Tin

A lot of our scrapbooking stash comes in the most gorgeous packaging, if it isn't gorgeous often it has the potential to be made gorgeous! I have got quite a pile of Maya Road tins awaiting transformation and last night I set about altering the first one. It started like this..


It was really easy to alter the tin, all I used was...
Gesso
Acrylic paints
Crackle Glaze
Matt varnish
Websters Hollywood Vogue papers, Itty Bitty Stamps
Tim Holtz ruler stamp
Lace
Masking tape
Pin Flair Gel
Chipboard
Distress Ink

1. Mask off as much of the plastic window as you can, it just made it a bit easier painting it not to have to worry around all the edges.


2. Paint over the lid of the tin and the inside of the base with a layer of gesso to prime the metal.


3. When that is dry paint over that with a layer of acrylic paint, and then when that is thoroughly dry add a layer of crackle glaze.


4. Once that is dry add your top layer of paint.


5. I have used some distress ink over areas of the tin just to give it a bit more of a distressed look, then covered the whole thing with a layer of matt varnish to seal it all in.
Then the fun bit starts, the decorating!
I matted my photo onto patterned paper and added that onto a piece of chipboard to raise it off from the base of the tin. I stamped the ruler image onto paper, inked the edges and pleated a length of lace along the top edge. I added it to the bottom of my photo but only stuck it down on the two ends so that I could add a slight bend to it.

 6. After I had stuck the photo in I thought the two sides looked too bare so managed to squeeze two decorative strips down both edges. Obviously if you are going to do this you can do it the easy way!


7. I cut out a floral corner from the Websters Pages and built the back up with foam tape so that it would lay flat but raised up in the tin.


8. When you build up the design inside your tin keep checking how it will look with the lid in place, if I had placed the floral corner right up against the edge of the tin it would hardly have been noticeable with the lid on.


9. Keep adding elements until you are happy with how it looks, remember you are also going to add detail to the tin lid so don't overdo it too much. I have cut out more elements from the paper, stamped a clock image and cut out a pink paislee rub on.


10. Embellish the tin lid, again I have simply cut out designs from the Websters Pages and stuck them onto the lid adding pin flair gel to sections so that certain areas are raised up.
The butterflies are Websters Pages Itty Bitty stamped images coloured to coordinate with the papers using promarkers. 





I was really pleased with the finished result and have got plans for all the other little tins I have got in my craft room, just got to find some other ways to store their contents now!
TFL
xx

10 comments:

Katherine said...

Beautiful tin, love all the detail and those websters pages :)

Lou said...

those webster papers are gorgeous, and look good on your altered tin xx

Cathy C said...

Gorgeous Rachael!

Jennifer Grace said...

So delicate and pretty, I love the crackle glaze. x

Sam said...

This is lovely Rachael! X

Handmade Hannah said...

Beautiful project Rachel. I too collect tins and boxes and they are just waiting to be transformed some day!

kjjc said...

Please come and live here and show me how you do it so easily.Gorgeous.

Lisa said...

Very pretty Rachael, a novel way of using up packaging too

Lisa
xx

Eileen said...

So, so pretty! I have a couple of these, one is empty and waiting for inspiration ... Think I might have found it!

sixofone aka Leah said...

Love the way you have altered this tin. It looks gorgeous